What is it?
Sprains and strains are common injuries affecting the muscles and ligaments.
What are the symptoms?
Signs and symptoms will vary, depending on the severity of the injury.
- Limited ability to move the affected joint.
- At the time of injury, you may hear or feel a “pop” in your joint.
- Muscle spasms.
- Limited ability to move the affected muscle.
What to expect?
You can try the following:
- Place an ice pack on the injured area for about 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this frequently during the day.
- Swelling can be reduced by elevating the affected area.
- Avoid exerting the injured area. Do not engage in activities that trigger swelling and pain.
- Painkillers can help ease pain and inflammation.
You should see a doctor if you experience the following:
- Unable to move or bear weight on the affected joint.
- Bone pain over the injured joint.
- Numbness in any part of the injured area.