What is it?
Presbycusis, also called age-related hearing loss, is hearing impairment that gradually occurs as we grow older.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms of presbycusis are the following:
- Hearing loss.
- Difficulty understanding other people’s words which can be mumbled or slurred.
- Difficulty distinguishing high-pitched sounds.
What to expect?
If you are diagnosed with presbycusis, you can consider discussing the following subjects with your doctor:
- Patients with prebycusis undergo hearing tests. Is this the case with you? Do you need to be referred to an ENT specialist?
- There are various ways to manage hearing loss in patients with presbycusis. What is recommended for you?
- Patients with presbycusis require routine follow-up care with an otolaryngologist and audiologist to monitor hearing thresholds. How often is this follow-up care?
In addition to the management given by your doctor you can try the following things:
- Avoid loud sounds.