What is it?
Glossitis is inflammation of the tongue, which can also involve changes in the texture and color of the tongue. The causes of this condition include allergic reaction, injury to the tongue, nutritional deficiencies and infections.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms of glossitis include:
- Swelling of the tongue.
- Tongue pain which can be described as burning.
- Itchy tongue.
- Different color of the tongue.
- Swallowing difficulties.
- Loss of ability to speak.
What to expect?
You can try the following:
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Avoid or quit smoking.
- Avoid foods that cause inflammation of the tongue.
Consult immediately if your tongue is severely swollen and begins to block your airway.