What is it?
Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammation caused by the bodies own immune system. Typically the joints in the spine are infected, but inflammations can occur in other parts of the body as well.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms may include:
- Prolonged back pain.
- Stiffness of the back.
- Pain, stiffness in other joints of the body besides the joints in the back, such as the knees, hips or elbows.
- Red and inflamed eye.
What to expect?
If you are diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, you can consider discussing the following subjects with your doctor:
- Is there a need for investigations to assess and evaluate your condition? If so, what are the preparations needed prior to these tests?
- what are your treatment options? What is best suited for you?
- A healthy diet, quitting smoking and an active lifestyle can help improve your overall health and well-being. Which changes can you make in your lifestyle?
Apart from the treatment your doctor provided, you can try the following:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers can help ease inflammation and pain.
- Stay active.